Sunday 6 July 2014

Presentation: Studio Photography Portraits (Wafaa's Place)

4/7/2014(week 13)
Imani Najwa Binti Nordin (0319405)
Presentation: Studio Photography Portraits 


Lecture :
    Two weeks ago Mr Vinod had asked us to choose out a photo of women in the olden age between 1940s -1950s .We were asked to select one or two and upload the photos on the photography group page.Teh whole idea of picking out a vintage photo was so that we would be able to recreate the photo and be the model itself.In relation to that,we were also subjected to use the photo shoot studio,which was today.Before we begin taking studio photos,we had a brief lecture regarding the different types of light and the different types of lighting those of which are two different things.From what I understood Different types of light is referred  to the quality of lights whereas,different types of lighting is referred more towards the settings of the lights.There were a few type of light that was mentioned which are main light,fill light,rim light,hair light and background light.

    The different types of lights are pretty self explanatory
    Back in the olden days people would actually go through pain just to look good in photographs,this is because photographs were something special taken only for special moments and big events.Hair for instance,people with darker hair (black) like us :/, it would have been difficult to photograph and capture the texture of our hair therefor back in the days people would grease and put jell in their hair to make it shiny enough to be seen visibly on camera.

    The Different types of light:

  • The main light is the first light that you will need to position.It basically illuminates the major portions of the image and all the other lights will be constructed around the settings.

  • The fill light is used to help lighten/soften the shadow areas that has been created by the main light.It is said to help produce details in the shadow areas and can also act as a flash.
  • The rim light is used to give form to structure around the object/subject that is being photographed.It creates a silhouette around the subject more like a halo ring around it thereby revealing its shape.
  • The Hair light basically helps to give body to your hair.It helps illuminate and give textures to your hair,making it look from 2D to 3D.

    As for the Different position of lighting it is basically refereed to how the settings of the lights are placed, for example :
  • Broad Light
  • Remembrant Light
  • Split Light
  • Loop Light
Mr Vindo also mentioned about the other equipments that are useful in the studio
  • For instance a soft box .
  • A C curve is used as a backdrop,it is basically used so that there will be no sharp crease in the backdrop photo.
  • Tracing Paper is out around your light or in front of it to change the shadow effect,making it either softer of shaper when removed.Another way to change the effects would also be to just by different types of voltage bulbs
  • Aluminium file acts as a reflector to reflect light.However since the surface of the aluminium foil is rough and full of crease and bends the reflected light will begin to spread everywhere.


Presentation: Studio Photography Portraits 

The photo that I would have to recreate 




My five photos :















Hardcopy :




Feedback:
General Feedback:
As for general feedback Mr Vinod mentioned that we should all by now be well prepared with 5 pictures that we have in mind and start to develop them.He even told us that we should start taking things seriously since submission is due on week 16 (which in my calculation is next week).He also mentioned that it is important to be profesional when getting your photos developed.What he meant was that,you should know what you want and so should they,make sure that our photos aren't cropped or edited by placing a border line on the photos we want.Also not forgetting to print it on different textured paper,either smooth,mate,glossy and ect.The reason as to why we should do a test print on week 15 is to see which suits our photo more and there will be more time to fix mistakes rather then doing it on week 16.


Specific Feedback:
Mr Vinod kind of caught me off guard when he mentioned about my photos.He said they were good and at that time I thought he was talking about the photo shoot photo Im about to recreate but then he went on about the other photos and mentioned that I can safely start picking out the 5 images I want to print out.He said that maybe I can have a go and take a few other shots but for the most part I can already start test printing.

Tia mentioned to me that whiles I was gone Mr Vinod said that this weeks photos were much more satisfying then the previous week (broga hills adventure) .He also told Tia that I always seem to misspell his name and Im truly sorry Mr Vinod xp

Reflection:
Observation:
From my observation I've realised that coming prepared to class is important.To be honest when I came to class I was kind of blurred out, probably because I was so nervous for the photo shoot.When MR Vinod begin to explain all the different types of lights and lighting at first I was a bit confused.I was confused because I hadn't read the article that he posted on Facebook.This is unlikely of me since I always go to Facebook and check the updates if there are any assignments  due.But thankfully when Mr Vinod explained I begin to quickly capture what he had meant.
Other then that,I've also observed that the ones who have to model in front of the cameras were all very shy.Girls were everywhere doing their hair and makeup,red lips,bold brows and even teasing their hair.It was also very hectic when it came to setting the lights.Since I wasn't the first I got to nose around and help out the few who had to be photographed.I've realised that most of the time the makeup artist have to come prepared with a makeup kit since most of the time either the eyebrows need touch up or the lips.

Progression on project:Theme based project:Presentation on five images in Printed Form :
I've observed that I have really been procrastinating and it is really affecting me.I don't meant to be I just simply put things off and that is a big no no.I used to love every assignment I've gotten and would complete the task the second I get my chance to do so.However nowadays,what with all the projects and boos I've been putting off taking photography.The fact that I have no partner to go hike with makes it even more unbearable,I guess Im just looking out for my safety,but then again it is really annoying to just sit around and ask people to follow me hike.In relation to that,I've observed that having company is both good and bad,bad in the sense that most of my friends are impatient and always nags about getting the shot faster,most of the time I've realised that people who aren't into photography don't get to see the beauty in taking photos in black and white,even in colour they don't consider their composition.Long story short,I've observed that  cant wait for no one.Hopefully this Saturday I will be able to go hike despite the thirst of Ramadan or having any companion.   

Experience:
Todays lesson was very nerve wrecking I was at the edge of my seat hoping I'd get through the day.Most people were really looking forward for todays photo shoot but as for me I just wanted it to be over.Probably because I had just  recently wore a Hijab and Im still trying to get used to it.Its not such a big deal really,not that Im saying Im against it or anything but if you place yourself in my shoes I think you would understand me even more.Maybe i was also just way too nervous as well.Im quit the camera shy so when Mr Vinod said that I had to  find another other then the previous ones I've showed him,I got even more nervous.I had to search for vintage people with head scarves within those few hours before it was my turn to shoot.My stomach ached trying to find the right photo to replicate.It was very hard for me and Wafaa to find a perfect well covered hijab vintage 1950s look,most of the models wear scarves but show peaks of hair and I tried my very best to search for ones that were fully covered.But rest assure it was that hard,we even tried to search for Arabian and Iranian girls but to no such luck i found non that looked vintage enough.Long story short i didn't have much time to search for a picture that I thought would be worthy to reenact so I asked Mr Vinod if I could prosponed my shoot to the upcoming weeks class.Mr Vinod did hesitate a bit saying that next time I  should be well prepared .Sorry sir,I will.

Progression on project:Theme based project:Presentation on five images in Printed Form :
As for this weeks experience,I went to Wafaa's house to take photos of nature since she mentioned about her house being near the gold course.We had a sleep over and the next morning around 7:45am we went out of the house and walked around.Since naturally a golf course is pretty flat and straight forward with their nicely cut grass it had those typical scenery's however it was still nice.We were supposed to go near the lake when this guard shoo'ed us away for our own safety( incase a golf ball hits us :p).And so I proceeded by taking close up photos of plants instead.I must admit that I think it would have been a whole lot better to go hike up and take photographs there but there weren't any place that was exotic enough.


Findings :

This time around I've found that different terms can mean two different things.For instance "the different types of light" and "the different types of lighting".

I've also found that working in the studio can be quit challenging.There has to be specific people in charge for specific things,for instance,the hair and makeup artist are in charge of anything related with makeup by fixing the models hair and filling in their eyebrows.Camera crew,which are the lighting people have to work their way through. Although,along the lines my fellow classmates got the hang of it and it was all good.I was being nosey and manage to to help around a bit however thinking about it now I wish I could have done more.

I've also found that the makeup that you put on  before the shooting doesn't really matter much this is because most of the time I've found that the lights are to bright which causes half of the makeup not to show on camera.This is where the makeup artist comes in and retouches the make making it more bolder then before.I've also found that since not all of us had obvious facial structures the photos look flat and not 3D like.Therefor,lighting plays an important role in bringing out those facial structures,for instance the butterfly light position helps to shadow and create that cheekbone effects that girls love.

On the other hand so far my progression on my 5 pictures have been on the slow paste.I haven't had the time,most probably because it the fasting month and its quit hard to find someone to be willing enough to go and hike with you,tho this shouldn't be an excuse I will still try my best to capture stunning images when I get the chance too.I think sometimes Mr Vinod thinks were not ready enough for this big challenge however I do know some of us have really good photography skills and will manage to create spectacular shots .


Progression on project:Theme based project:Presentation on five images in Printed Form :
As for this week,I've found that I've been really trying to spot for different unusual things,things that people usually overlook.Details in dead plants and so on,their not really hard to photograph since I usual later on use Photoshop to edit and crop my photos.However the backgrounds really bothers me,most of the time they are to cluttered and when I blur them they become to distracting.I know I should practice more on how to achieve good quality photos and that I shall. 



Lastly I've did my research and used the helpful links that Mr Vinod gave us
my favourite site at the moment is fubiz,they have amazing photos and I've fallen in love with most of them.There was a series that I particularly loved,it had spenticular images of the palm trees and volcanos,most of the pictures shot looks like the place is up in flames with the heavy fog.A few shots of the island and the stretch of the island looks marvellous.



since I couldn't read the article since it was in an entirely different language , I just had to admirer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment