Saturday 14 June 2014

Progress on the 5 pictures (Taman Tar)

13/6/2014(week )
Imani Najwa Binti Nordin(0319405)
Lecture :Regarding our progress so far on the 5 pictures

Lecture:
During todays class Mr Vinod just dived into our topic for today,which was our progress so far on how much we've done over the past week.He first begin explaining to us that even though we do not need to bring our cameras doesn't mean we wouldn't have weekly exercises,e explained that we will still have these sub exercises such as learning the uses of studio lighting.Mr Vinod explained that this would be a very handy topic to grasp,since we are currently studying this once we get into degree some of us may have the upper hand than others.He did mentioned that we were to (recreate a look from the early ages from the (1940s' up to the 1950s'),the 1960s' were acceptable but he stressed that we should keep between this range.This is because,lighting in the ages became more dilute.Back in the day people would get all dolled up,dressed all prim and proper when wanted to be photograph,It was a big deal back then,just because taking a photo was something formal it wasn't an everyday thing and it would have been costly.Now days however,we wouldn't take the effort,probably just to look good but we wouldn't go to extreme measures and get our hair done and makeup.As usual Mr Vinod does stray from topic,but I like it,a change of topic keeps it interesting.He gave us a tip on how to do our POD assignment which was a cut out project,he mentioned that we should cut on glass piece which is far better then a cutting mat,which makes perfect sense(thanks for the tip).
Moving back on topic, we got in a circle and Mr Vinod begin asking what progress we've done so far.To his disbelieve he was shocked that non of us made an effort to actually take time and did some research regarding out major assignment(deeply sorry sir).With that he begin to explain that we should at least make an effort (2 hours minimum or right before bed and click on the links for inspiration )
He also added that we should be jotting down ideas and what we've learned along the journey,it is important for us designers to carry a mini note pad,this is used to help metre your progress.
Something that got stuck in my head was the fact that with more research and jotting down these ideas the faster you begin seeing different aspects you miss out,Mr Vinod mentioned that apparent reality is something that everyone sees,and to be different,to make heads turn,you will have to go beyond,make the effort to study.

Update (20/6/2014)
Of Everything

So finally I've gotten the chance to go hike up the Taman Tar's hiking place which apparently is called "Bukit Kenanga"? Like whut .Anyways,I've been meaning to go hiking and take some nature photos since I felt that I've been way behind.Sadly something urgent came up and I had to leave early unexpectedly :/ and long story short,I manage to take a few decent photos,since I myself am not to sure of my theme,all i know is I want something nature related.

The thing that Mr Vinod mentioned about photography is that most pictures have already been taken,pictures that are regularly taken like a single flower or the lake view.It means ,someone before you had probably taken the exact same photo before you( fells like a slap to your face) and knowing that kind of made the picture less special.I've thought hard on what I should take photos of for this assignment and to be honest I still am a bit lost,I've considered to take details of nature and I actually like that but I also would like to take landscape shots of the spectacular view.This makes me scared because some of my class mates have already finalised on what theme their going to be using for this assignment.

But then again,noting is for certain,I think its okay to be kind of lost,its fine if we don't know what we want right?

What Im trying to imply is that,so I didn't narrow down my subject matter,does it matter?Sooner yes,but for now I'd like to experiment and see what works best,tho I wouldn't stray far away from nature but it would be interesting to work on other things then taking the same regular shots that I will have to for weeks.All Im saying is that I will work on both details of nature and landscapes and see which is more successful,after all aren't we designers,we're supposed to be outgoing and explore more.

Take a stab at it.-Mr Vinod's famous words.

Details of nature:






More to scenery:



Abandon House :



Hardcopy :

Feedback:
General Feedback :
As for general feedback I don't think there is any specific thing that was mentioned other then the minor few.Mr Vinod did mentioned stuff like keep taking photos constantly to avoid loosing your touch.There were a few questions raised regarding the trip back to the same old place of the original shoot.Mr Vinod mentioned that it wasn't necessary to revisit the original shoot however it is crutial to do so,this is because having to revisit a place you will begin to be more observant then the previous time.At the same time,Mr Vinod also mentioned that we should visit other places but of the same theme.

Specific Feedback:
For todays week,Mr Vinod told me that I have done great progress and that I should keep out the good work.He mentioned that my exposures were correct and all was fine.There were a few particular shots that he liked.Overall he told me that I should keep progressing as I will find more interesting details that could be taken off.Most importantly do not slack off.


Reflection:
Experience:
I've came to experience how important it is to do research.When Mr Vinod told us about that it opend up my eyes at how little I knew of anything,ideas that pop up into heads should all be jotted down to meter our progress .When taking photos we should also take our time and analyse ,be critical,ask ourself if this photo is unique? If not way? And how would I make it unique?This would help train your mind to look out for something different.
Another thing that opened up my eyes is how Mr Vinod mentioned that we should be careful on how we photograph something ,sometimes when we take photos of textiles we will take great shots but thats about that,it is as if we are promoting other peoples art instead of ours,there is no contribution as to how we effect the photo. I agree on this aspect,the photo may be pretty but thats just it,it doesn't look like we as photographers have anything to do with it.

Observation:
I've observed whiles having our group discussion is that most of the students have really interesting ideas for their photo assignment,some were of the usual and some were pretty interesting.There was a point in which we would tell Mr Vinod's our ideas on the photographs we would take and Cherry wanted to take a photograph of a village nearby her house area,where everything is pretty much traditional.Mr Vinod added that may be a good subject.Something he said that caught my attention was how he mentioned that you don't  necessarily need to take photos of the village people,tiny details that people miss out would make good interesting photos,for example some worn out shoes,shoes are a good subject to portray what kind of people live there without really showing the person itself.

I've realised that it is hard for me to go hike up somewhere and take pictures,most of the people I relied on are way to busy or simply cant find the time to help me,no I do not need help and I probably should just man up and go all by myself.I probably would if its the last resort and technically it is.

Findings:

So far my findings are about how lame it feels to live in Malaysia.The themes that I choose were more to the urban lifestyles,the victorian centuries in which we don't have.I was planing to take photos of abandon places like those but sadly Mr Vinod too mentioned that we do not have places like those.so I had to scratch the thought away.

Today I've found that along our lessons learning how to take photographs in black and white,I realised it is a knowledge that is really useful.This is because,not everyone can do it."Sure its a nice shot but you just lost the detail of leaves cause its too dark".Im beginning to appreciate how other professional photographers can actually have the patience and the ability to think one step ahead in order to produce a good outcome,they visualise beforehand and it is a skill that Im trying to achieve.


Learning Style Test Results :

No comments:

Post a Comment